So, as a lot of you already know I'm a Brit, born in London and lived in the Home Counties until I was 35, when I uprooted and came to US. I suppose I should explain what a "Home County" is:
To be a Brit, is not easy, we are eccentric, mad as hatters, live a country with some very strange traditions and sayings. I'm sure I still confuse most of my clients with my conversational tattle and they just nod, mumble a faint "yes" and hope they've not signed their lives away!
So I thought I share some fun, typically Brit things with you all this blog. If you know me already, these will make some things clearer and some things a little less so. If we've not met, you really should come and visit me at a show and let's talk! In the meantime, you need to get some Brit design on your neck, ears and wrists.
- We can pinpoint someone's exact origin of birth from their Brit accent. The UK is small, has the geographical landmass of Minnesota and houses 63 million people, primarily in London and three or four other larger cosmopolitan areas, we do still, however, have a lot of rural land. The main accents are as follows, I say main as each one has quirks and differences, in a little as a 5 mile circumfrence.
- The Geordie accent.
- The Welsh English accent.
- The Scottish English accent.
- The Scouse accent.
- The Cockney accent.
- The West Country accent.
- The Yorkshire accent.
- Barrister (lawyer) wigs..... A simple why here, or as we prefer why not?
- We love our tea! Tea is important and how you make it, is doubly important, the water must be boiling, the teapot must be warmed first, the tea must be allowed to steep. Here are great directions I found online.
- Our Love to Queue (Stand in Line)
- We apologize all the time! Even when we know we are not at fault, "I'm so sorry" will spring for your lips.
- Strange and Affectionate Missives.
- Class is Alive and Kicking! We are obsessed with accents, what your father does/did, where you live, where you went to school.......
- Last but not least! Here is a derivative of a Venn diagram explaining what it is to be a Brit and how we name each grouping of land masses. Yes, it's confusing!
Any clearer? I thought not........well just go and shop then! We can all do that ok! Right?